For the Greater Glory of God
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam
St Ignatius Parish, Norwood, has been administered by the Jesuits for about 140 years. The Jesuits, also known as The Society of Jesus, were founded by Iñigo Lopez de Loyola in the 15th century. In 1848 a group of Austrian Jesuits, the first Jesuits to come to Australia, arrived in Port Adelaide to minister to the German-speaking Catholic community before coming to Norwood in 1869. They have long been replaced by Australian Jesuits who now work at home and abroad in many ministries such as in primary, secondary and tertiary education, pastoral work, social services, with refugees through the Jesuit Refugee Service, and as industrial and migrant chaplains. Throughout the world Jesuits continue to carry on the work of St Ignatius of Loyola, their founder, in these and other missions.